Acne is an inflammatory skin condition caused by the clogging of hair follicles with oil and dead cells which often leads to bacteria invasion.
Acne evolves in stages with initial whiteheads/blackheads which later develops into pustules/papules and finally into severe forms such as scarring and cystic nodules.
Thus Early detection and prompt treatment of acne is highly recommended to halt the progression. They appear like multiple pimple like bumps or painful red lumps on your face or anywhere in the body like the neck, back and shoulder.
This can be quite distressing for cosmetic reasons to teenagers and some adults especially when acne appears on the face.
CAUSES OF ACNE
The major causes are:
• Excessive sebum ( skin oil) production.
• Excess androgens.
• Bacteria invasion of the skin.
• Clogging of the hair follicles with sebum
ACNE CARE AND HOME REMEDIES
• Wash affected areas twice daily and gently.
• Avoid scrubbing affected areas when having your bath.
• Avoid using oily creams.
• Avoid cleansers with gritty contents.
• Reduce intake of chocolates and skimmed milk.
• Do not squeeze or use your hands to pick an acne in order to prevent scar formation.
• Do not use astringents that will dry up the skin.
• Avoid prolonged intake of corticosteroids.
Drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily keeps the skin hydrated and toxin free.
Regular exercises daily keeps the skin pores open due to sweating and reduces the risk of acnes
Most acne usually respond to topical therapy though a combination of oral and topical therapy is more efficacious. Successful treatment lies on using a product that follows these principles of treatment:
• Inhibition of sebum production
• Limitation of bacteria growth
• Promotion of shedding of cells to unclog skin pores.
4 MAJOR FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING AN ACNE
• Natural products eg plant based supplements are more tolerable because they do not have side effects unlike orthodox acne creams.
• Choose a product that has a cream and capsule supplement to attack acne internally and externally.
• Choose a product that eliminates all forms of blackheads/whiteheads
• Choose a product that contains rich antioxidants such as vitamin C, E and aloe vera to protect your skin from bacteria invasion.
NB- Avoid buying over the counter acne cream because of the risk of allergic reactions and severe irritations.
adhering to the above acne care guidelines and choosing the right
product will prevent recurrence of acne and break outs significantly.